Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. .

Afshin Darian

255 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Steven Silvester , Jason Grout , Afshin Darian 255 days ago
Steven S
  • Friday, March 31, 2017
 
 
  • Lots of updates to ipywidgets, thinking about versioning and the protocol, etc.
 
  • Changed the way inspectors/completers set flags on editor to allow for tab/shift-tab to both be able to indent and also be used to invoke completer/tooltip commands
  • Started refactor of file browser and its extension to offer a factory to create file browsers and track them
  • Removed concept of application-level current working directory
 
 
  • Friday, March 24, 2017
 
377 days ago
Matthias B
  • Tuesday November 29, 2016
  • Thomas (Travelling with poor internet connection)
 
Project management ()
  •  
 
Notebook ()
  • Closing in on 4.3 release
 
Carol W JupyterLab (Darian)
Afshin D
  • There's a large, open PR on state management and application restoration on page refreshes that should be finished within a day or so. If you want to follow along, there's an overview of the restoration lifecycle in the PR description: jupyterlab/jupyterlab#1291
ssilvester@continuum.io
  • Release JupyterLab 0.11 within the next day.
  • Working through beta issues: 407 closed so far, 29 are open.
Fernando P
  • Demos at Gateways 2016, NYU, PlotCon and multiple other venues (fperez, jason). Very well received, lots of interest for potential collaborations. Special thanks to Matt Rocklin & Luke Canavan for great Dask demo.
 
Peter P
 
Min R JupyterHub (Min)
Carol W
  • Release JupyterHub 0.7 later this week
 
Min R nbdime (Min)
Carol W
  • Release 0.1 later this week
  • Completing doc work and screenshots for release
 
Min R qtconsole 
  • 4.3 release imminent
 
Jason G IPywidgets (Sylvain Corlay, Jason Grout)
  • Ongoing work for a 6.0 release. Two betas released, including a styling overhaul and fixing many small bugs. We're concentrating particularly on easing the transition from the 5.x releases.
Sylvain C
  • Ongoing work on the embedding of widgets with formal json spec for widget state + sphinx extension. (Widget state can be fully generated from python backend now, which will enable pure-python sphinx extensions)
Jason G
  • There will be some small backwards-incompatible changes with 5.x. For example, in the javascript, the way to specify widget defaults is slightly changed, but the changes are fairly straightforward. We also have ongoing discussion about some possible changes to the Layout widget's display functionality (see ipython/ipywidgets#919, for example).
Matthias B
  • Sylavin, Fernando can you write down the keypoints of your discussion questions ?
Jason G
  • I wrote a few things above.
 
Matthias B GitHub Automation (Matthias)
  • Waiting on a discussion with GitHub with some beta API changes, cleaning up the code.
  • Thinking of cross-organisation permissions for a bot, how that could work and be used/(abused?)
  • Nothing really new since last week. ( no link yet, my private key still hardcoded in the private repo)
  •  
 Added the Mastering IPython 4.0 book on IPython.org (Matthias)
  • Well, it is now on the website, I took care of responding to Packt.
 
Pycon Talk Proposal (Matthias, with Min and Michael Bright)
  • In Progress, with submit the Tutorial proposal today. 
  •  
  • A bit late on writing the Talk proposal.
  • If I don't get feedback/discussion i'll move forward on my own. 
  •  
Michael P nbconvert (Mike)
 • progress on header id filtering
  •  • trying to figure out what exactly pandoc is doing, haskell is…fun
  •  • need to use regex (not re) in python to get access to unicode character property classes
  •  • trying to find good comparable js library, XRegExp seems like a good candidate, known issues?
 
Samuel P Quantitative analysis of notebooks: proof of concept (Sam Penrose)
  • work by Connor Ameres (unable to attend call) and Sam from Mozilla
  • {spenrose, cameres}@mozilla.com
  • cell-wise and notebook-wise feature extraction from iPython notebooks -> Dataframe
  • Able to cluster Mozilla's notebooks into is / not used for distributed data processing
  • Mozilla goal:
  • Understand notebooks as distributed data processing IDE
  • Requests:
  • Point us at notebook collections (working / messy, not presentation / tutorial)
  • Download and run on your own
  • Add feature extractors: typically 1-5 line Python functions
  • PRs welcomed
  • How can we make this a useful resource for the community?
  • Ideas for a shared place to collect analyses? gist.github.com or ?
 
Matthias B
  •  Can we (try to) turn the hackpad to a more compact summary of this week, and send it to the mailing list that will help people not on the call to catch up faster.  Thinking on Brian, Thomas... 
  • We need to Pay attention of writing the keypoints of what is _said_ and not written should be written down. 
 
 
419 days ago
Peter P Peter Parente
  • Merged contributed PRs against dashboards server for making it relocatable under JHub (tnx to @jhpedemonte and @danielfrg)
  • Added @danielfrg as contributor on dashboards server for Auth0 login, wiki updates, etc.
  • Merged some lingering docker-stacks PRs and groomed the docker-stacks issue list
  • Self-education about JLab (figured out how one panel widget can watch for changes in other notebook widgets, models, contexts, kernels).
 
Min R Min RK
  • teaching at Swedish Bioinformatics Workshop Thursday/Friday
JamieW
  • cool!
Min R
  • login tokens on by default on notebook
 
In class, listening in :emoji_1f64a: 
Business as usual, triaging notebook and ipywidgets issues and working through issues marked for next release
 
Ian Rose  :emoji_1f64a: 
Ian R
  • Working on shimming realtime cell editing into JupyterLab notebook implementation
  • Beginning to experiment with different UIs for initiating sharing
 
Afshin D Afshin Darian :speak_no_evil: 
  • Refactored the use of focus tracking (created an instance tracker class) last week
  • Working on tests and outstanding issues this week.
 
  • Working upstream, Readthedocs, PyTest 
  • PyPI-legacy work in danger as Donald Stufft is changing job
  • Preparing for next week Moore Sloan Data Science summit.
 
Afshin D Dan Allan  :speak_no_evil: 
Dan A
  • mic malfunctioning today -- cannot speak good or evil!
  • investigating possible comm race condition exposed by %matplotlib notebook -- initial conversation with Matthias, will follow-up as needed
  • finishing up hub lab extension
 
Michael P Michael Pacer 
• working on hiding output via tags
• what more before nbconvert 5.0? beta?
 
  • We created the JupyterLab org and `@jupyterlab` npm context for JupyterLab projects
  • That broke lots of things, so we're in the process of updating everything
  • (For Sylvain) - working a lot on separating Jupyter Notebook from the Jupyter Server, and working on the extension mechanism.
  • Working on polishing up widgets so we can get a dev release out that works in both Lab and notebook (in particular, upgrading jqueryui, the accordion widget, etc.)
 
 
Nicholas B Nicholas Bollweg :speak_no_evil:  
  • more jupyterlab extension hacking (theming, bundling)
  • mostly Day Job stuff
 
thomas@kluyver.me.uk Thomas Kluyver  :speak_no_evil:  
  • Preparing to come to the US in 2 weeks!
Dan A
  • Coming near NYC at all?
thomas@kluyver.me.uk
  • Sorry, no - flying directly to California
Dan A
  • Had to try :- ) Have a good trip!
Matthias B
  • Just jump out once you are over the east coast. 
thomas@kluyver.me.uk
  • Never go over it. Go over some very cold bits of Canada!
Michael P
  • Canada does have an east coast :)
thomas@kluyver.me.uk
  • Yes, but I may not even really go over that
Michael P
  • This seems like a variant on the euler bridge problem…
  • Ah! will you be flying over the pole? 
thomas@kluyver.me.uk
  • Not quite, but because of Great Circles, the route does go a long way north. My first look at the US is usually somewhere around Montana, I think.
  • Also winds - flying back east takes a more southerly route than going out
 
  • We will be sending out a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Technical Writer Contract position (1 year) If anyone knows an awesome tech writer who would be interested in submitting a proposal, please send me their contact info.
  • Grace Hopper starts tonight in Houston. Yee haw
Michael P
  •  Hi Jamie! I hope that Grace Hopper is going well!
 
  • Tuesday, October 11, 2016
 
440 days ago
  • New approach: put a minus (-) next to your name if you would NOT like to audibly share progress during the meeting. The moderator will start at the top of the Hackpad and call out those without a minus next to their name. 
 
  • Would like us to discuss this technical topic all together during this meeting
Matthias B
  •  let's spawn a different meeting for that, unless there is time.
Peter P
  • Count me in.
  • Where to track custom mimetypes:
  • Proposal to send all payload to output in our frontends (jupyterlab, notebook)
  • IPython kernel has a flag that does this (let's also change the default)
  • nteract already doing this
 
Min R Min RK
  • Testing JupyterHub 0.7 services, auth API, getting ready for release
  • We've never had *good* support for lists on the CLI, though you could cram them into list literals, e.g. `--Class.list_trait="['x', 'y']"`. This paves the way for proper list aliases, etc., but it will be hard to do without breaking the old, clunky way.
 
Dan A Dan Allan -
  • in conflicting meeting, just leaving some notes
  • jupyter/jupyterlab-extension-cookiecutter is usable -- feedback welcome
  • JupyterLab extension for integrating JupyterHub links in progress
  • Proposal to enable connecting to external kernel from notebook server (akin to `ipython console --existing`) jupyter/notebook#1786
 
  • Testing and documentation on JupyterHub 0.7, configurable-http-proxy, and spawners
  • Working on docs for upgrading JupyterHub
  • New Sphinx alpha 1.5 - will work with Mike to review the changes in this release
Matthias B
  • Does this theme have documentation version selector ?
  • Follow up question from PyData Carolinas: folks were interested in using Dashboards (jupyter/enhancement proposals#20). Are we planning to graduate this from the incubator?
Gino B
 
  • Will be in class and unable to attend meeting
  • notebook: Working on PRs related to issues triaged from past weeks
  • ipywidgets: Triaging all issues with no milestone
 
  • Got a conflicting meeting... will miss
  • Highlights are the new `explore` function to visualize and query any DataFrame
 
  • Posted the blog post about ipywidget security release. 
  • Had seminar at UC Merced. Some researher seem interested at switching to Jupyter & Python. Education was the selling point, as the effective cost to switch from matlab is still high. 
  • Migrated custom tools to backport PR to GhPro. Matplotlib is looking at having a similar workflow.
 
  • Blasting JupyterLab design issues in preparation for Strata talk tomorrow
  • Nice way of organizing issues for a short sprint like activity
  • Wrote dask labextension
Matthias B
  • I'm curious of having someone how woudl someone  who never touched JupyterLab achieve that . Sorry Computer Freeziing hard to type. Hapyt o see it took you 1h, that's great.
Brian G
  • Yeah, that will be a great test to do once we get the cookie cutters written. 
Peter P
  • I think i volunteered indirectly to be the lab rat for this experiment last Friday. Once there's a bit more than the vanilla cookiecutter, I'd like to sit down and try to add something as simple as a ... button? menu item? ... and see how far I get. I probably could use what's there, but I'm sure I'd start struggling as soon as I wanted to do more than console.log.
 
  • New conda-forge packages of nbexamples, jupyter_cms (tnx Dan and Eric)
  • Some PRs against nb_conda and nb_conda_kernels
  • General support / PR merges in docker-stacks, kernel_gateway
 
  • Not feelling well, listening in
  • JupyterLab sprint - documentation and cookie cutter around third party extensions
  • Added workflow for attaching a console to to text editor and running code
  • Added a new workflow for creating a new file:
 
  • Fixed a bug where console clear wasn't working
  • Fixed a bug with console foreign cell styling
  • Working on using activity monitor to throttle Markdown rendering
 
Michael P Michael Pacer :speak_no_evil:
JamieW
  • nice! 
Michael P
  • also "<colon> speak no evil< colon>"  :see_no_evil: 
Matthias B
  • "See" or "say"
Michael P  - Following up on last week 
  •  - researching CJK and foreign language support via different routes
  •  - small issues with docs, going to be working on the custom exporter docs
  •  - Matthias asked me to look into dynamically defined templates (for easier customization)
  •  - Should address CJK; custom script exporters will need a different solution
 
Matthias B Back to MinRK 
 
  • demo-driven-development for strata demo.
  • jupyter-server work
 
...
468 days ago
August 2016
 
1 888 240 2560 (US Toll Free) - meeting ID 6220936068
 
 
Ana R
  • JupyterDay HI - October 15, plans to announce via blog post next week Ria Baldevia
  • DevMeeting venue research, will have more to announce next week
  • Newsletter to publish this week
 
Min RK +
  • Back from EuroSciPy
  • I want to be conservative with traitlets releases, since it's the underpinning of everything.
Sylvain C
  • Nice. It is a good bugfix release
 
Documentation Resources 
Link to PyCon posters on Building Documentation: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/58j31yokefdp8tm/AACNCmKZQxuhUnvBRW2TnCM7a?dl=0
Documentation tracking site: http://www.iheartjupyterdocs.org/
 
  • Refreshed JupyterHub docs
  • Meeting with Michael Milligan and some of his team at Minnesota Supercomputer Institute on Friday for them to share how they are using JupyterHub
 
  • Still working on a couple of issues left to release declarativewidgets 0.7.0
  • Putting together my piece of the Pydata Carolinas tutorial
  • Busy on other unrelated work
 
  • Not feeling well, may just listen in
Carol W
  • Feel better soon. The future depends on you ;-)
Sylvain C
  • was thinking the same thing. What is the "Cold factor" of jupyterlab?
ssilvester@continuum.io
  • It looks like a combination of a WebPack plugin and a RequireJS plugin will get us where we need to go.
 
• Continuing to move forward on getting nbconvert to 5.0
• Worked with Matthias on getting pypi-legacy and warehouse to play nicely with the new python-requires info
 
  • Triaging outstanding issues
  • Fixed broken examples (all of them had regressions and runtime errors)
  • Starting process of moving to phosphor data structures and some console tests
 
 - ANN: Release of 0.0.5 of jupyter-incubator/traittypes. Working on rtd documentation. Migrated bqplot over to it.
 - work on nbextensions. PR coming to notebook master
   see issue jupyter/notebook#1706
 - discussions with Opendreamkit folks at sage days Paris. Mostly about conda. jdemeyer is working on moving sage's interact over to ipywidgets.
  - some work on downstream widget libraries.
  - introduce Abel Allison who started an epic rework of pythreejs' javascript.
 
Damián A Damian Avila
  • We have ipywidgets available from defaults channels at repo.continuum.io
Damián A
  • Looking into Jlab third-party extension discussion
  • Answering several reported issues with some popular nbextensions
 
  • Tech writer
  • Community guidelines/Code of Conduct
  • JupyterCon
  • Postdoc opening for HPC workflows with Jupyter @ LBL, October
Matthias B
  • Yeah ! (I think I might know SO) 
 
Peter P
  • conda/conda#3294 has the info about per-environment condarcs (thank Eric Dill for finding it)
Matthias B
  • Also apologies if I interrupted you but it was hard to follow because of the jumping around. 
 
  • Tech writer SOW, CoC, JupyterCon, Nov dev meeting
  • CSS/Less refactoring in JupyterLab
  • Final have a clean design
  • Will probably break Jason's and Chris's excellent proposal for third party extensions :-(
  • Each plugin has an index.less
  • Where to put less files in each plugin?
Min R
  • we need to have a very strong reason to use LESS instead of much bigger standards like PostCSS/Myth, especially if it's an API and not an implementation detail, and I don't think we have one.
Brian G
  • We haven't ruled that out, but we didn't want to delay using CSS variables any longer. Less is an iteration in the right direction
Min R
  • Agreed. We should just make sure we look at it before we get close to a release. The principles of the design shouldn't be substantially different. Starting with LESS to get the ball rolling makes sense.
Brian G
  • Also, I am trying to use very simple aspects of less that would be supported by basically any less preprocessor. The "API" aspects of our CSS are 1) class names (which won't change) and 2) the variable declarations (which will be a few dozen lines). But those things should be stable through major versions of JupyterLab
Matthias B
  • + for PostCss/Myth, it's the standard in JS world now. 
Min R
  • Not at all opposed to starting with LESS, just want to make sure we don't forget to look at moving to standard things once the sketch is worked out.
Brian G
  • Working with CP students
  • There is a request to post a release schedule to the dev meeting notes each week - let's do this!!! (see below).
 
  • Work on third-party extensions (thanks again to Chris Colbert for an excellent proposal!)
  • general keep-up on jlab issues
 
  • Merged a tensorflow-notebook image contribution to docker-stacks
  • Submitted PR to fix Jenkins Windows test errors in the new bundler API on notebook master
  • Planning to cut a release of kernel gateway 1.1 with some fixes that have been sitting in master for a bit
...
503 days ago
ssilvester@continuum.io
  • Listening in today, I have HVAC working going on... 
JamieW
  • gotcha-
Jason G
  • Continuing work on JupyterLab
 
  • JupyterLab: Relative URLs?
Matthias B
  • Working uptream on PIP and PyPI-legacy not to break Python 2 install once we have Python 3 only releases. It not that easy. 
ssilvester@continuum.io
  • Working on feature parity issues in JupyterLab
JamieW July 2016
 
Min R General meetings Tuesdays at 10:00 US Pacific (17:00 UTC during US daylight saving)
 
 
Fernando P * To join via Phone:
Dial any of:
1 408 740 7256
1 888 240 2560 (US Toll Free)
1 408 317 9253 (Alternate Number)
 
(see all numbers - http://bluejeans.com/numbers)
JamieW Meeting ID - 3723210105  (host Jamie)
 
thomas@kluyver.me.uk (Copy the meeting ID in use for each meeting under the relevant heading)
 
Min R
  • July 26, 2016
 
Min RK
  • nbime diffing is in good shape, needs phosphor/jupyterlab model review, and designer attention for diff view
  • Still haven't caught up with SciPy GitHub backlog
 
  • Question about autosave/checkpointing behavior:
  • Proposal: Emulate what a desktop editor would do: aggressively save to a temporary file that can be recovered, and have a setting for an auto save interval to disk. "Checkpointing" should be done using version control. We should also periodically check for a file change on disk and ask to revert.
  • Continued work on code inspection, support for pager now works in consoles and notebooks, needs UX review! jupyter/jupyterlab#537
 
 
  • On vacation in Japan -July 29 - August 8
Damián A
  • Nice!!!
Carol W
  • Documentation while I am gone: I will have the Cal Poly Developers monitor this site http://www.iheartjupyterdocs.org/ for any doc build failures. I will ask them to file an issue if there is a broken build and ask the Jupyter team to rally as needed. Thanks!
  • Will attend JupyterDays Atlanta
  • Shout outs: Reese Netro for excellent work capturing notes and comments from JupyterHub conference on Friday. Ana for speaker mentoring and SciPy organization. Matthias Bussonnier for help with CPython issue tracker comments.
 
  • JupyterDay ATL: Tickets live
  • DevMeeting Fall 2016 - tentatively planned for November 6 - 12
  • JupyterCon: Announced at SciPy 2016 - Stay tuned for more news, planning process kicked off 
 
Nicholas B Nicholas Bollweg (will announce one thing, unless ana does it all!)
  • JupyterDay Atlanta
Nicholas B
Nicholas B
  • thanks for the bullet!
  • working on nb_conda_kernels  with min, damian (issues reported by many anaconda distribution users)
  • will cause some more work (mostly for me and CIO!), sorry for the inconvenience
 
 
  • Mostly same as last week.
  • @jhpedemonte upgraded dashboard server to work with latest jupyterlab components with help from steven
 
Carol W
Carol W
  • Also lots of good work on IPython issues too.
  •  
Damián A Damian Avila
  • Discussing nb_conda_kernels issues with Nick, Min and others in the community
  • Working in the next RISE release (hopefully in 1 - 2 weeks)
 
  • Visited Brookhaven National Lab (Thanks Dan Allan for inviting me!), and we talked a lot about how we can solve issues they are seeing when scientists use notebooks.
 
 
 
513 days ago
Brian G SciPy 2016 Sprints
 
  • Participants
Tomas O Tomas O - JupyterLab, IPython
Marius N Marius van Niekerk - JupyterLab, Apache Toree (Jupyter Kernel) 
Georgiana O Georgiana Ogrean, Thomas Robitaille - FITS file viewer in JupyterLab
Gil F Gil Forsyth - IPython, prompt_toolkit 
Farica C Farica Carroll, Katie White, Matt Bowers, Spoorthy Vemula, Reese Netro, Roshan Prabhakar - Jupyter Website
 
Ilya S Classic notebook, ipython
Geir H Geir Arne Hjelle - Classic  Notebook / nbdime
Tom L Tom Lynch - whatever I can help with
Min R Min RK: Floating help, ask me about JupyterHub or your own kernels (or anything else, really)
Carol W Carol: New contributor help and git questions (after the Intro to Sprints)
 
Brian G
  • %nbdoc magic for giving users access to notebook based documentation
  • JupyterLab
  • IPython
  • Ability for JupyterLab to open .vgjson and .vljson files (Vega and Vega-Lite)
  • Classic notebook
Min R
  • Integrating your project with Jupyter
  • JupyterHub
 
 
 
 

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in